Tuesday 19 May 2009

Cooking with Steph - the grovel recipe

Let's not talk about how lame I am in my blogging. Just make this, eat it, and thank the heavens I started blogging again.

I don't know if it is because I am getting older, but I really am an advocate for top quality baking products. I don't give a rat's arse if you go for the cheapest tinned tomatoes, but my lord you can taste the difference between a great quality cocoa or chocolate, compared to a crap one. I recommend the Green & Blacks cocoa, which you can get in NZ from Homestead Health (not that it is healthy at all). Try it in the saucy bit of a simple Edmonds Chocolate Self Saucing Pudding - nom nom nom.

One other note on this recipe: the biscuits. The original recipe I found called for Shortbread, but I used the Farmbake Hokey Pokey Biscuits, which were pretty rad. I guess you could get all fancy and make your own biscuits to use, but if I make a nice batch of biscuits there is no way in hell I am smashing that up! It's worth experimenting with types of biscuit I reckon - let me know what you try...

Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you
CHOCOLATE CRUNCH HEAVEN

Ingredients:
1/3 C cream
450g dark chocolate, chopped (the darker the better baby)
130g butter, chopped up
250g biscuit chunks
Top quality cocoa powder, for dusting

  • Line one of those narrow loaf tins with baking paper.
  • Melt and combine the cream, chocolate and butter on a low heat, stirring constantly. If you burn it, it will taste like pants.
  • Chuck your biscuits in to a mixing bowl and gently stir in 2/3 of the chocolate mix.
  • Put this in to the tin, then pour the remaining mix over the top. Tap the tin on the bottom and the sides after to remove any bubbles.
  • Pop in the fridge to set for around 3 hours, or overnight if you can handle it - basically until it is set.
  • To serve: invert the tin, remove the slice, dust with some good cocoa & cut in to slices. Pop your knife in to a cup of hot water before slicing for a nice smooth cut.
Don't think about what is in it, and savour every melting bite!

4 comments:

  1. Yum, having read your and Bel's chocolate recipes, I am all in want of some chocolate pudding. Green & Black's is indeed delicious, but I find it a bit on the expensive side, whereas the Trade Aid cocoa is excellent, more affordable, and fair trade... if that floats your boat. Both are by far superior to stinking old chalkdust Cadbury cocoa...

    xxLotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true Lotte! The Trade Aid Drinking Chocolat elives at work in my secret drawer, and tends to be my treat of choice at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just so's you know, when I am making recipes such as Banoffee Pie or Baked NYC Cheesecake and it calls for plain biscuits in the base I use Cadbury's chocolate digestives and it adds a superb extra bit of va-va-voom.

    ReplyDelete