Thursday 19 March 2009

Oh my goodness, I've found a new Beth Ditto.

And I get to meet her! On Saturday!

One of the perks of being on Radio Active's Caffeine and Asprin radio show about one Saturday a month (10am-1pm NZ time, in case you want to listen) is meeting cool people who aren't performing at my workplace. So, when I saw there was a Def Jam poet on the schedule this week I was so excited, and that just gathered speed when I read more about her, especially her Auckland show here.

I'm going to admit something here, for better or for worse - there are two performance mediums I would dearly love to try out: Performance Poetry (ala Jill Scott, Erykah Badu and Ursula Rucker), and Burlesque. Well. Not only does Nikki Patin do all of these, but she also does it addressing issues close to my heart - body image and sexual assault on women. Yusss. Good lord, maybe she'll become my mentor. That would be so cool.

If I could figure out how to put a YouTube video in here, I would (anyone want to send me a tutorial?).

Needless to say, I'll let you know what she is like in the flesh post Saturday... Who wants to come to her performance at Happy on Saturday?

3 comments:

  1. I shall send you a YouTube FYI.

    And this chick looks awesome.

    And I would really like to see you do performance poetry. I might feel a bit awkward watching you burlesque it up - wouldn't want some arousing feelings to get in the way of our friendship. But if I was drunk it'd be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would expect the entire room to be drunk I think...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh ooh Steph yes I do! I DO!!
    But am not sure if I will be 'on call' re parenting duties, as Marky seems to have band practice 24/7 at the moment.
    Ciara Mulholland is performing too and she is FAB. I'll try wrangle it - will keep in touch lady!

    ReplyDelete